Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Inaugural Sweater

I've been looking forward to Inauguration Day for a long time--not just because I'm excited for our new president to get started, but because I've been planning to cast on a new sweater, and decorate it in honor of this historic event.

Here's the sweater: Margaret, from Mason-Dixon Knitting Outside the Lines


This one belongs to someone else. I've got some curled up pieces--a front, the back, and part of another front, which I worked on as I listened this morning. Mine's in about the same color--I guess we all loved it so much in the book no one could imagine it in a different color. It's a fairly easy pattern, and knits up quick. If you haven't seen the one in the book, it's got words all over the bodice in between the lines. The original had some cool, socially-aware quotes on it. I thought, looking forward to this day, that I'd choose some cool, socially-aware quotes from this speech.

I knew President Obama would say something awesome, because he's an orator, and he didn't disappoint--the speech was amazing in it's content--except that he didn't say too many things that were quote-worthy in twenty words or less. I guess I should have made my needs clear to him before the speech writers got going. Since there weren't any clear-cut choices, I haven't yet decided what text to use, but it will probably be something along the lines of:
There is nothing so satisfying to the spirit, so defining of our character, than giving our all to a difficult task.
That sounds pretty good, and reading it on the back of a hand-knit sweater just might give it a double meaning.

Let's hope the next four years are full of awesome knitting and social change!

7 comments:

  1. Awesome! I always wondered where the knitting was on your blog. I look forward to seeing the WHOLE quote on your sweater. I'll knit another darn washcloth in your honor. See ya Thursday,

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is an awesome sweater. I can't wait to see it on you. Or me...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Natalie always thinks she gets everything...haven't you told her the sweater is for me? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think your next post should be about the beautiful, "nemesis" shawl you made me for Christmas. Because that one was for ME! (Use that lovely photo taken by Bret)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Why is it a "nemesis" shawl? I am so intrigued right now . . .

    (Hee. Word verification = mistitch)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cute sweater! Great talent to have.

    ReplyDelete